Tuesday, August 18, 2015

My something old and blue

My grandmother passed away in 2005. It was the weekend of my birthday. I remember because I spent my birthday alone that year; my parents went to see my grandma a lot that week at the nursing home, and I went later that night. Now don't feel sorry for me, I was fine. A friend that went to Romania with me mailed me a pan of homemade brownies :) I had rented movies and ate a bunch of junk food besides the brownies, and I think I stayed up super late watching a scary movie. By myself.  That was dumb. Anyway, going TOTALLY off topic :). The summer after she died, one of her kids brought a bunch of her belongings to our yearly family reunion, and everyone was able to choose something to remember her by. 

This was before I was engaged. I think Tim and I had only been dating for a few months. But when I saw this brooch, I immediately knew that I wanted to somehow wear this in my hair at my future wedding. It was going to be my something old. My something blue. 

I turned her brooch into a barrette. It was so easy. I just bought some jewelry glue, a plain flat barrette, and glued the barrette onto the pin. Bada-bing! Bada-boom!
I loved having something in memory of her at our wedding. I'm sure my mom thought about her at the wedding, missing her. I wanted to make sure my mom knew I didn't forget about her.

No comments:

Post a Comment