Saturday, March 18, 2017

Day 4 in Portland, Pt. 1

Day 4 in Portland was awesome :) I woke up around 6:30am and went across the street to Old Orchard Beach. They are well known for their pier, which has a bunch of restaurants and also an amusement park with a ferris wheel by the beach. I can imagine during the summer that this is the place to be. There is also a block of tourist shops that were closed down for the season (our motel was actually closing down four days after we left! we made it the perfect time to go, cheap!). I had such a cold but relaxing time taking photos. There were less than 5 people on the beach, all taking photos or enjoying each other's company while the sun came up. It was so beautiful.





After that, Tim and I drove back to Portland for breakfast. We walked about a mile in super windy conditions-thankful for the sun that day so it wasn't super freezing! We were both laughing because it was just so windy lol. We had breakfast at Marcy's Diner, which was such a unique experience. We were seated at the counter and could watch the chef make breakfast while they blared music Tim used to listen to like 10 years ago, more heavy music. It was such a cool experience, besides the fact that we couldn't really hear haha!
 We then walked down near the harbor. The thing I loved about Portland is there's not just one "downtown". They have all different sections, and they're all busy! You walk downtown Manistee, and there's nobody out enjoying life. You walk downtown Portland in the pouring rain, and you come across 100 people. Imagine when it's sunny, like it was this day. I just loved it!

Tim and I came across this alligator outside an ice cream shop, and I jokingly told him to pose by it, and he did it lol :)
 Tim didn't mind exploring by the harbor, but I know he was doing it especially for me :) 
 haha

Portland used to have a love locks bridge, like Paris; however, due to the heaviness of the locks, also like Paris, the bridge started to fall apart. They ended up taking down all the locks but kept a small portion of them in memoriam. I was so happy we came across them :)

The Standard Baking Co. supposedly makes the best pain au Chocolat in town. Pain au chocolat is literally pastry dough filled with chocolate and covered with some sugar. Sadly, they hadn't made any that day, so I ended up just getting a regular croissant. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't just eaten a massive breakfast :)
We went to a few more shops, including a Christmas shop. It's tradition that everywhere we go on an anniversary trip, I get a Christmas ornament. This year I got one that didn't quite scream us, but oh well :) It's of two snow shoes and it says Portland, Maine on it. 

Here's Tim letting me shop while on his phone lol
 After that we went back to the Holy Donut and got a BUNCH more donuts :) Our favorite is still the dark chocolate donut. We should have just gotten a dozen of those!
 THEN we went to yet another bakery. I had heard of this cute little place from Bakingdom, who had taken a trip to Portland the last year with her husband. 
 I, of course, wasn't hungry after being to breakfast, so I just got a whoopie pie and a lemon cookie, two of her recommendations. SO delicious! Looking back now at the below photo, I definitely wish I had gotten some pie!
I was glad we walked around so much, probably about three miles, because after this, we were off to Cape Elizabeth, where delicious lobster and views of the ocean awaited us :)

No comments:

Post a Comment